Recycled Rubber FAQ.
What is the product made of? Old car tyres, with any metal reinforcement remover, shreaded / moulded and coloured. Some of our recycled rubber products are made here in Ireland, the others are manufactured in the EU, but all use cleaner EU tyres as their sourse material.
I have read on-line that Crumb Rubber may not be safe. 1st these reports relate to non-european material and 2nd generally refers to the small rubber beeds often used in Astro Turf pitches rather than manufactured end products. In the EU, there are requlations as to what materials can go into the manufacture of tyres supplied to the EU market to begin with, meaning the source material used for our recycled rubber products is strictly controlled, unlike that from markets such as USA or ASIA. In addition, manufacturers need to comply with EU regulations such as “REACH” before they can place products onto the market with additional requirements for the likes of plant pots and planters where food may be grown in them. All these ensure our recycled rubber products are safe and fit for purpose.
Is there a guarantee? Yes, the manufacturer offers a 3-year quality guarantee on the qualiry of the product.
Will the colour rub off the products? No, this might happen with water-based colourants, our products use a polyurethane based colour which is colour fast. Due to the nature of the product being made of recycled material, a colour variation bay occur simular to a “batching” in paint. With the likes of rubber chippings, it is recommended that the bags are mixed when being installed to reduct and variation being more pronounced,
What products & colours do you stock? We are always monitoring what products / colours are more popular, so this may change, if in doubt, please call or email us. The core colours are Red, Brown & Black, with some products also available in Green, Grey & Blue – however minimium order quantities may apply for special colours..
- Rubber Chippings: We stock all colours in 20kg handy bags of chippings – Red, Brown, Black, Grey, Blue & Green. For logistical reasons, the 500kg & 1,000kg pallet options, are supplied direct from the manufacturer with a lead time of normally about 3 – 4 working days.
- Tree rings: We stock 50cm dia rings in Red, Green, Black & Brown. 100cm dia is available in the same colours but only for direct delivery.
- Garden Lawn Edging 1m Long: We stock Red, Brown and Black.
- Garden Lawn Edging 1.2m Long: We stock Brown and Grey.
- Mats: We only stock 1m x 1m mats, 20mm or 35mm thick in Brown with a brick effect Pattern. Red and Black are available in both thicknesses and in brick effect or plain finish. 2m x 1m options of the mat is also available as well as a 35mm interlocking (1.83m2), but for logistical reasons they will be supplied direct from the manufacturer with a lead time of about 3 – 4 working days subject to being in stock.
- Kerbs 4m Long: These are available in Red, Brown and Black. For logistical reasons, they will be supplied direct from the manufacturer with a lead time of about 3 – 4 working days subject to being in stock.
Can a mat, kerbs & edgings be cut? Yes, using a standard handsaw, chop saw and for our mats a Jigsaw is ideal especially if you need curved shapes.
How do I fit the 1m Lawn Edging? Traditionally people have used timber pegs and screwed the rubber edging directly to the edge. Others have bedded them into concrete. We supply a 15mm dia x 225mm long, heavy duty recycled plastic pin which can be used to go throught the edging, however as the rubber edge doesn’t come with holes in it, you will have to drill a 12mm or bigger hole in the edging. Finally customers have used 6mm dia. mild steel to make pins to their desired length and used these either face fixed or pre-drilling through the edge and hammering them into the ground.
How do I fit the 1.2m Lawn Edging? This range of products comes complete with fixings. On the wider products such as the Scallop, Roman Stone and our Moving Edge, the plastic pins supplied go through the edging into the grouns, and with our thinner products Picket and Ultra Thin, “J” type metal pins clip over the top and go down the back of the edging into the soil.
Can the mats be cleaned? Yes, because they are anti-fatigue, they are often used in indoor and outdoor beer gardens as well as other applications. They can be swept, mopped (including steam). For outdoor applications, the mats can be power-hosed.
What is the coverage of the rubber chippings? As a generally rule, 25mm+ cover is used on landscaping projects, 50mm+ for residential play areas and 100mm+ for commercial play areas. For landscaping the higher the fill, the more weed prevention you get. For play areas, the higher the fill, the more bounce you get, however remember, regardless of the fill depth, injuries may occur as its not neccessarly what someone falls on, how they fall is just as relevant. Approx coverage below is based on a level base, however ondulations in the base and because of the variation in the particle size of the product, the coverage is only a guide.
- 10kg = 1m2 based on 25mm thickness.
- 20kg = 1m2 based on 50mm thickness.
- 30kg = 1m2 based on 75mm thickness.
- 40kg = 1m2 based on 100mm thickness.
Based on a 50mm cover, 500kg will cover approx. 25m2 and 1,000kg covers approx. 50m2.
Does Rubber Chipping provide any Fall height protection. As mentioned already, how someone falls is just as important as what they fall on, however as rubber provides a soft surface compared to hard finishes such as decking & slabs etc. it provides a much safer surface for play areas. For Rubber Playground Chippings.
- 20kg / m2 giving 50mm (2″) cover will provide upto 1m CFH protection.
- 30kg / m2 giving 75mm (3″) cover will provide upto 1.5m CFH protection
- 40kg / m2 giving 100mm (4″) cover will provide upto 3m CFH protection
For mats, the CFH is based on the mat thickness but also the base makeup, therefore additional information is needed before this can be confirmed.
How do I install the mulch chippings? 1st remove all vegetation such as grass and weeds. For landscaping, just spread the chippings over the soil and around the plants / shrubs. I fabric weed barrier can be useful to stop the soil and chippings from mixing, and will also help prevent weeds from coming up, however fabric is not recommended is you have planted seeds, perennial or bulbs, as this may obstruct them coming up.
For residential play areas, sort out any drainage issues before installing the chippings. After all the vegetation is removed, level the area using stone with a top dressing of sand. Place a fabric weed barrier over the entire area overlapping or taping any joints. Then just spread the chippings out to the required height.
For more information or additional information, please email us [email protected]